Saturday, April 18, 2015

Review: Agatha Raisin and the Walkers of Dembley by M.C. Beaton


Genre:
Cozy Mystery

Format:
Audio

Publisher:
Blackstone Audio, Inc.

Release Date:
December 2012



Synopsis from Goodreads:

After six grueling months back in London, Agatha Raisin returns to her beloved Cotswold village of Carsely--and to the charms of her neighbor, James Lacey. True, James is less than thrilled to see her, but Agatha is soon distracted by a sensational murder. The victim, hiker Jessica Tartinck, spent her life enraging wealthy landowners by insisting on her walking club's right to hike over their properties. Now she has been found dead..

My Review

I’m really liking these Agatha Raisin audios. They are relatively short and I can finish them in a week while I commute to and from work.

Agatha is still full of herself and it’s taking me a long time to warm up to her, but I’m finally coming around. LOL She sure is relentless in the pursuit of her handsome neighbor, James Lacey. Some of her decisions make me shake my head and other times I just want to shake her.

I find myself becoming more involved in the characters and their relationships then the actual mysteries. They are usually not very complex, although interesting.

This book left us with a cliffhanger – not about the mystery, that was wrapped up by the end of the book. I don’t want to give anything away in case someone is still out there reading this series but the cliffhanger is about Agatha.

I know it left me with many questions and I can’t wait to start listening to the next book. That should be on Monday  :)

As a side note, I do think this series is best if you start with the first book. That way you get to watch Agatha’s character grow. I think she’s better appreciated when you have the full picture.

Also, I really enjoy the narrator, Penelope Keith. She does a wonderful job with this series.



For reading challenges:
2015 I Love Library Books Reading Challenge

Disclosure: I borrowed the audio from the library. All opinions expressed are my own.




2 comments:

  1. You're really diving into this series. :) I got the first book from my library now I have to read it. It's good to hear that Agatha is growing on you. I hope she will on me too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.