Saturday, December 30, 2017

Review: The Extortion Cat-astrophe by Alannah Rogers


Genre:
Cozy Mystery

Format:
E-Book

Publisher:
Amazon Digital Services

Release Date:
July 15, 2015






Synopsis from Goodreads:

The Ashbrook Fall Fair is around the corner and Beatrice Young, the sixty-two-year-old owner of the Cozy Cat Café, is gunning to finally win the prestigious baking competition.

Yet when her friend Nathan rushes in with a wild tale of extortion ten years in the making, it's up to Beatrice and her cats Hamish and Lucky to hunt down the culprit.

My Review

Beatrice Young is at it again, along with her pair of kitty sleuths. This time she is getting ready to enter a baking competition at the Ashbrook Fall Fair. Nothing is ever that simple for Beatrice.

A friend of hers asks for her help. He’s the victim of an extortion plot that began ten years ago. He had kept it to himself, but now he needs her help. He makes her promise not to tell the sheriff. It’s difficult since Beatrice and the sheriff have a good working relationship. If he finds out she’s working an extortion case behind his back, that could ruin everything.

Beatrice Young reminds me of Jessica Fletcher, Agatha Raisin and Miss Marple. She’s an older woman who runs a cafe, but handles mystery cases on the side. The sheriff seems more than happy to have her assistance.

I have to stretch my imagination a bit to accept that the sheriff doesn’t mind her interference. In fact, he often requests it. But, it's a fun adventure every time.  Beatrice isn’t in this alone. She has a good relationship with her ex-husband, who often helps. More importantly, she has her two detective kitties, Hamish and Lucky. Of course those two are my favorite characters.

This is the 2nd book in the series. These are short books. I prefer reading them in order so I get to know the characters and watch them grow. Each mystery is self contained in each book so I think they can be read on their own, but I think it’s better to read them in order.



For reading challenges:
The Purrfect Reading Challenge 2017

Disclosure: I borrowed this through Kindle Unlimited. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.